May is Better Speech and Hearing Month, but just what does ASHA, SLP, CCC, mean?
Well ASHA stands for American Speech-Language Hearing Association and SLP stands for Speech and Language Pathologist. They hold a master’s or doctoral degree from an accredited program, complete a postgraduate clinical fellowship, and pass a national examination to receive their professional credential: the Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech-Language Pathology (CCC-SLP) from the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.
Did you know?
- 6-8 million Americans have some form of language impairment (asha.org)
- About 1/3 of strokes result in aphasia (aphasia.org)
- 1 in 5 Americans have hearing loss in at least 1 ear (asha.org)
- At age 65, one out of three people has a hearing loss (hearingloss.org)
What do SLP’s do?
- They figure out what type of language problem exists, determine what is causing it, and decide on the best treatment.
- They are specifically educated and prepared to evaluate and treat people who have problems with articulation, fluency, voice, eating, and swallowing.
- They help re-establish reliable, functional communication to assure patients understand the care being provided.
- They also have in-depth academic preparation, clinical experience, and research-based knowledge to make them an expert provider of swallowing treatment.
- Safe and efficient swallowing is vital to preventing pneumonia-related deaths, maintaining nutrition well-being, and preserving the pleasures associated with eating.
Celebrate better hearing and speech month and thank your SLP today!
[/bt_text][/bt_column][bt_column width=”1/3″ align=”center” vertical_align=”btTopVertical” border=”no_border” cell_padding=”default” animation=”no_animation” text_indent=”no_text_indent” highlight=”no_highlight” background_color=”” opacity=”” inner_background_color=”” background_image=”” el_class=”” el_style=””][bt_image image=”1513″ caption_text=”” size=”” shape=”square” url=”” target=”_self” hover_type=”” el_class=”” el_style=””][/bt_image][/bt_column][/bt_row][/bt_section]