Service available at St. John Providence
Walk With ME is a pediatric palliative care program available to children of all ages with life-limiting illnesses. This includes the unborn through early adulthood.
- Our commitment is to provide compassionate and personal care to children, as well as practical and spiritual support to the entire family.
- Our goal is to enable children to focus on life, the things they enjoy, and the people they love.
- Our focus is on meeting the medical, spiritual, and emotional needs of the children and to provide support to everyone caring for them. It is our hope that this will allow kids to be kids and families to be families for as long as possible, making every moment together special.
Walk With ME Team
- Certified Pediatric Registered Nurse who provides regularly scheduled visits and on-call availability, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Board-Certified Hospice and Palliative Medicine Pediatrician who provides expert symptom management and coordinates care with the child’s doctors.
- Social Worker who provides the entire family with counseling and support while assisting with community resources and memory making.
- Chaplain who provides emotional, spiritual, and bereavement support to the child and family.
- Home Health Aide who provides assistance with the child’s personal care and activities of daily living.
- Volunteers who provide companionship to the child allowing for parents to have time for themselves.
- Also available:
- Physical, Occupational, and Speech Therapy
- Dietary Counseling
- Community education and support
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know if Walk With ME is right for my child now?
For most childhood diseases and conditions predicting the future is difficult. Our supportive services are most effective when started as soon as possible following diagnosis. Walk With ME is supported by the philosophy of caring for the entire family and focusing on comfort-oriented care when a cure no longer seems likely.
Does this mean that we have to give up hope for a cure, or another treatment, to extend my child’s life?
No. We will continue to hope with you and help your child remain comfortable, live each day to the fullest, create family memories, and when necessary prepare for a peaceful death.
I’m satisfied with the people caring for my child now. Will I have to change doctors?
No. We encourage all of the child’s care providers to continue their involvement. Care provided by Walk With ME is physician-directed and nurse-coordinated, all in accordance with the patient’s and family’s wishes. We encourage all care providers, such as nurses and other therapists, to maintain their support for the family.
My doctor is not familiar with Walk With ME and is not sure that the services are appropriate for my child.
Walk With ME is a new program, staffed only by experienced pediatric professionals specializing in palliative and hospice care. You should feel free to discuss our program with your child’s physician at any time. We are also available to answer any question he or she may have about the benefits of our program.
For more information about Walk With ME, please call: 888-2-HOMECARE (888-246-6322)
Making a referral to Walk With ME
Anyone can refer a child to our program: physician, nurse, family, clergy, social worker, or a friend. To make a referral, please call 888-2-HOMECARE (888-246-6322).
Walk With ME will never refuse care to children and families who are unable to pay for services. We receive payment through private health insurance companies, Medicaid, Children’s Special Health Care Services, individual payments, grants and generous donations.